We provide quality Legal Aid to Victorians facing all types of criminal charges
- You may be eligible to apply for your legal costs to be covered under the Government initiative of Legal Aid
- JDA Law is proud to be one of Victoria Legal Aid’s preferred law firms, providing expert legal representation to those in need
- We can help you to determine if you fit the criteria for Legal aid, and assist you in completing the necessary paperwork
Want to know if you’re eligible for Legal Aid?
Call James Dowsley & Associates 24/7 on (03) 9781 4900
What is Legal Aid?
Legal Aid is a Government initiative which provides certain people who cannot afford a lawyer with grants of legal assistance.
As a member of Legal Aid Victoria’s Section 29A Panel, James Dowsley & Associates may be able to provide you with partially or fully funded legal services.Read more
Legal Aid may cover some or all of your legal costs. If you are granted Legal Aid, the exact amount and any other conditions will be clearly laid out in a letter to you.
You can contact Legal Aid at any point to find out how much money you have left. They may also impose certain conditions in your grant, which we can help you understand and follow.
Legal Aid is in high demand and Government funding is limited, going primarily to those who need it most. It is important that you fill out the application carefully.
Contact our criminal lawyers today to see if you qualify and to discuss your options.
Who is eligible for Legal Aid?
Legal Aid is designed for those who would not otherwise be able to pay for a lawyer to assist or represent them with their legal matter.
The means test assesses your income, assets, and expenses to determine your eligibility. In addition to this, Legal Aid Victoria considers:Read more
- What your case is about
- The likely benefit to you
- Any possible benefits to the public in helping you
- Whether those benefits justify the cost of legal assistance
- Whether a court proceeding is likely to end well for you
- In the case that your legal problem is a criminal appeal, whether there are reasonable grounds for the appeal
The Legal Aid Application Process
By answering just a few questions, we can help you to determine your eligibility for Legal Aid.
However, it’s important to remember that as a Government-run initiative, criteria and acceptance are not up to us. We simply provide quality legal services to those in need.Read more
- You will need to fill out a Grants of Legal Assistance application form on the Legal Aid Victoria website. A qualified lawyer may be able to provide you with free assistance in completing the form
- As part of your application you will need to provide supporting documents such as proof of income, bank statements or Centrelink benefit statements
- You must post your completed application and supporting documentation to the listed address
If you are successful, a letter will be sent to you and the lawyer helping you.
This letter will outline what assistance will be paid for, any conditions imposed by Legal Aid, your lawyer’s name and contact details, and the date your assistance begins.
The grant may pay for legal advice, preparation of documents, and representation in court.
Need Representation in Melbourne
for Any Criminal Offence?
You can contact JDA Law on (03) 9781 4900 at any time of day to discuss your criminal charge and application for Legal Aid.