The Police have left a card, or come to my house, what should I do?

When you are first contacted by the Police, you should contact one of the experienced solicitors at James Dowsley and Associates for urgent advice. Receiving advice at the earliest opportunity can influence the outcome of your matter if you are ultimately charged.

The Police want to interview me, what should I do?

The Police can arrest you for the purpose of interviewing you.  .  It is important that you receive advice before the interview.  During the interview, the Police will offer to pause the interview to allow you to receive advice from a lawyer. You should always take this opportunity to speak to an experienced lawyer at James Dowsley and Associates who can provide you with expert advice tailored  to your own, individual situation.  Receiving timely pre-interview advice can be crucial to your defence.

I am worried I cannot afford a lawyer, what should I do? What are my options?

James Dowsley and Associates are approved by Victoria Legal Aid to act for clients who meet the eligibility criteria for legal aid funding for both summary and indictable matters.  In fact, James Dowsley and Associates are the third largest provider of legal aid services in Victoria.  This means that if you meet VLA’s criteria (if you have insufficient money to pay your own lawyer and your matter is considered by VLA to be serious enough), VLA will pay James Dowsley and Associates to act on your behalf.  In most cases you will not be required to pay anything.  Please contact us on 9781 4900 or email us so we can tell you whether you will meet VLA’s criteria.
The first interview with James Dowsley and Associates is free.  At this interview we can discuss the funding of your matter.  If you are ineligible for funding from Victoria Legal Aid, we can discuss how much the matter will cost, and organise a payment plan.

I am unhappy with the outcome of my recent court case, what are my options?

If you have recently been to Court, and are unhappy with the outcome of your matter, you should contact a lawyer at James Dowsley and Associates immediately.  There are very strict time-frames surrounding the lodging of appeals.  Our experienced staff can offer you advice and guide you through the appeals process.

Do I have to let the Police into the house?

If they do not have a search warrant, it is up to you whether you let them inside the house. They are allowed to walk up your driveway to knock on your door, provided they are not gathering evidence.

Do I have to answer police questions?

In some cases you have to provide your details and identify yourself. For example, a driver has to provide their licence upon request. However, you do have the right to remain silent in other situations. If you are unsure of your obligations, call James Dowsley and Associates for advice.

Do I need a lawyer to represent me for traffic offences?

While people can represent themselves on traffic offence matters, the defence solicitors at James Dowsley and Associates have the experience and knowledge to achieve the best possible outcome for clients.

Someone has taken out a domestic violence order against me, what should I do?

It is possible to contest the order. To be successful in getting an application, the applicant must prove that there was an act of domestic violence and that it’s likely to happen again in the future.

Need a different question answered?


To find out if you are eligible for Legal Aid Funding contact us using this form. We can assist you in determining your eligibility as well as providing the necessary information/forms for applying for the legal funding.

Legal Aid Eligibility
* indicates required field