Driving or Traffic Offences

Arrested and Charged with a Driving or Traffic Offence in Victoria?

We have put together a brief overview of Criminal Traffic Offences and associated Victorian Law. For more information on this matter you can visit www.liv.com.au or you call us for advice at any time, our phone line is open 24 hours a day.

Criminal Charges – Driving & Traffic Offences


  • Hoon Driving & Careless and Dangerous Driving
  • Speeding, (Excessive Speeding = 25km/h or exceeding 130km/h)
  • Driving without a License, or while your license is suspended.
  • Drink Driving and/or Driving under the influence of drugs.
  • Leaving the scene of a car accident without trying to assist anyone injured or exchanging details.
  • Refusing to take a Drug Test or Alcohol Breath Test

 Driving & Traffic Offences – Court & Penalties


» Criminal Traffic & Driving Related Cases are heard in the Magistrates Court or if they are of a more serious nature, the County Court.

» Depending on the seriousness of the charge the penalties can range from a Small Fine to Criminal Convictions and Jail Sentences.

» Our Criminal Defence Solicitors are experienced in defending a range of Traffic/Driving Charges in both the Magistrates Court and the County Court.

You Might Want to Know.......

Is a Drink Driving Charge considered a General Offence or a Serious Offence?

A Drink Driving charge is usually considered to be a Summary Offence.

Summary Offences are not as serious as indictable offences, and are heard in the local Magistrates Court.

Am I Likely to Receive a Criminal Record?

If you are charged with, and are convicted of, serious assault it is very likely that you will receive a Criminal Record. Many Common Assault Cases can also result in the defendant having a criminal record.

I was caught driving under the influence of drugs. Will I lose my license?

If you are found guilty of driving under the influence then yes, you will lose your license for a minimum of 3 months.  To find you guilty the prosecution must prove that a) you consumed drugs b) you were driving and c) that you did not have proper control of the car.

Important Information

If you are found guilty and convicted of a Driving or Traffic related Offence you could lose your license for a minimum of 3 months.  We recommend you get advice from an Accredited Criminal Lawyer as soon as possible. You can call us for advice about urgent criminal matters 24 hours a day on 03) 9781 4900

To find out if you are eligible for Legal Aid Funding contact us using this form. We can assist you in determining your eligibility as well as providing the necessary information/forms for applying for the legal funding.

Legal Aid Eligibility
* indicates required field